Friday, February 3, 2012

Death?

Death is not a comfortable topic. But what Woody Allen said about it, speaks for me: “I’m not afraid of death. I just don’t want to be there when it happens.” Funny, but there’s a truth in that idea that can provide a handle for dealing more effectively with death. If there are many planes of Life and consciousness, as I and many philosophers and metaphysicians, and maybe you believe, perhaps we only die from one plane to another. In other words, perhaps Woody won’t have to be there, or you either, when it happens.

Who is the “I” that dies? If we are all one in God - and by ‘God’ I mean the Life Force, not an old white guy with a beard sitting on a throne in the clouds surrounded by cherubim, and since God doesn’t die, we don’t die either. So, who is the “I” that dies - a particular ego, a particular way of being, a small part of the Whole, one of many possibilities.

Death is a step on an eternal, never ending journey. So why the fear? Because dying means letting go of that particular ego, of who we think we are, and taking a step into something bigger and unknown. But really, think about it, fire and brimstone preaching aside, if it is a step into the unknown, then we don’t know, so why worry; be happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment