Thursday, February 2, 2012

Mistaken Interpretations

I but mistake interpretation for the truth; and I am wrong, says the Course. But a mistake is not a sin, nor has reality been taken from Its throne by my mistakes. In other words, I take what I think about the world to be the world, when in reality it is only what I think, not what is.

Most of the time, I forget this and take what I perceive, my interpretation, as the truth, as reality. And even when I remember I have a choice and can choose to see things differently, then choose to do that, my old, negative interpretation lingers and I mistake that – the pain, fear and doubt, the struggle and worry, for the truth.

When this happens, I feel guilty and blame myself, criticizing myself for not practicing what I preach. But when I realize this is a process and forgive myself for being human, I can find moments of peace. By really getting I’m only hung in and interpretation, that this is not the truth and need not be, that a different interpretation is possible, I’ve gotten my bloated nothingness out of the way of the divine circuits and am able to allow the truth, which is always there, to flow.

Little phrases like: “There must be another way,” “I’m never upset for the reason I think,” and “oops, there I go again,” help me remember I’m only dealing with an interpretation and, with spirit’s help - definitely with spirit’s help, I can experience a different interpretation, one more in line with spirit’s compassion, peace, cooperation and joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment