Friday, October 22, 2010

Inside Out

If you always do what you always did, you’ll always get what you always got. In other words, if I’m unhappy and I want things to be different, I have to be different. Until I adopt a fresh perspective and change my behavior and my thinking, nothing will change. It’s inner work first; from the inside-out. I can blame others: democrats, republicans, jews, born-agains, the media, the tea party, the immigrants, the horrible communist gov’t in Washington all I want until my heart’s content – if blame can really make one’s heart content, or I can take responsibility, look in the mirror and as Pogo said 40 years ago, “We have met the enemy and it is us.”

Come on friends, enough already! We have the power, right now, you and I and the person next to you; its always been there within us. We can make things different and fulfill the ideals Joseph Campbell was talking about. But we’ve got to face our fears, claim our power and take responsibility, and that’s difficult. Difficult, but not impossible. In fact as we begin to do that - face our fears, claim our power and take responsibility, not only do we feel better, but the results are instantaneous.

It isn’t a matter of some people being better than others. Rather it requires a willingness to think and act in new terms, to point to spirit’s abundant love and care for each and every one of us, sinners and righteous, black and white, gay and straight, dem and rep. Jesus said God makes the rain fall on the just and the unjust alike. “The true theory of the universe,” Mary Baker Eddy said, “including humanity, is not in material history, but in spiritual development. Inspired thought relinquishes a material, sensual and mortal theory of the universe, and adopts the spiritual and immortal.”

Awareness of our reality as spiritual beings first, having an earthly experience, can help us overcome the fear that keeps us locked into always doing what we always do, and always getting what we always got. Matter can never truly define anyone, because it is blind to spiritual and essential qualities such as honesty, compassion, brotherhood, wisdom, joy and love. These and qualities like them, define our true power. They are the true substance of our being and they enable us to transcend material limitations. No one can be cut off from the light of spirit, it shines 24/7, everywhere and on everyone. Access the light that you are, that everyone is, and the darkness disappears. When you put on a light in a dark room, the darkness does not resist, it simply disappears.

If I’m unhappy and I want things to be different, I have to be different. If I always do what I always did, I’ll always get what I always got.

No comments:

Post a Comment