Monday, October 25, 2010

Seeming Evil

I keep on thinking that at some point, I’m going to have to, be forced to, do something I don’t really want to do or believe in. As the situation deteriorates, I’ll have to get a gun and some Krugerands and some survival food. But then I think, what good will that do? It might buy my wife and I some time, a few weeks or daze, but then what? When the amo, gold and food are gone, then what? Where will the drinkable water come from, and the toilet paper?

Our society is incredibly fragile and our ability to survive outside it is practically nill. Think about it: everything comes in by truck. When the trucks stop running, it’s over. And electricity, what would we do without electricity? How many candles have you got? And matches.

This kind of thinking scares me and makes me humble and very grateful for what we’ve got, messed up, destructive, heedless and dangerous as it is. Sure we can do better than we’re doing, but we can’t throw the baby out with the bathwater. We’ve got to transition from where we are to where we want to be – transition. Husband, conserve, love and protect and transition as rapidly as we can without making things worse.

It’s easier and more effective to do this if we come from a heart-centered, mindful and holistic place, from inside-out. When I’m thinking at some point, I’m going to have to, be forced to, do something I don’t really want to do or believe in, I’m not thinking from that place. I’m thinking with the ego mind, the carnal mind, the place of fear and doubt. While human reasoning and political decisions by individuals, communities and nations have value and are important, it’s what’s in our hearts that counts.

I find that when I come from a heart-centered, mindful and holistic place, from inside-out, acting in tune with my guidance and surrendering to the mystery, I get better results. Giving it over, letting go of the fear and ego’s shrieking, is the first step. Do I really have to do something? Perhaps. Is getting a gun and Krugerands the thing to do? Probably not. What should I do then? Well, I can’t know as long as I’m fearful and listening to the ego. If I let go of that, allow myself to be guided, accept the mystery of being a spiritual being having an earthly experience, I will know.

Pressures of the world frighten and seem to divide us into separate individuals, communities, religions, political parties, nations. But if we really are spiritual beings having earthly experiences, the seeming divisions are not the truth about us, but merely seeming divisions. “At all times and under all circumstances, overcome evil with good. Clad in the panoply of Love, human hatred cannot reach you. The cement of a higher humanity will unite all interests in one divinity.” Mary Baker Eddy wrote.

I would add that we do not “overcome” evil, we do not buy guns and vote to take the country back, that this is fearful ego thinking and only serves as a self-fulfilling prophecy to make the evil seem real. We perceive the evil, realizing that if we are perceiving evil we are perceiving with our ego minds, give it over and ask to see things differently in the light of spiritual holistic reality. Doing this will in fact, allow us to see things differently and act from that place; not throwing the baby out with the bathwater, but transitioning from a world that works for a few, sometimes, to a world that works for everyone, most of the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment