Tuesday, July 17, 2012

The Miraculous Shimmering

What do you accept as true and expect to occur?

Is it a world full of lack and limitation, a dangerous, dog eat dog, competitive, survival of the fittest world in which the golden rule – them with the gold, rules - applies; where evil and original sin are human nature and only the fear of God, strong law enforcement and quick and rapid punishment keep civilization afloat?

Or is it an abundant and generous, but neutral world, a world that is neither for us nor against us but one which is responsive to our deepest thoughts and feelings, a world in which human nature is good and god-like, in which cooperation, empathy—there but for the grace of God go I - compassion, trust, honesty, community, fellowship, and mutual respect keep civilization afloat?

The world view you accept as true, determines what you expect to occur. We tend to see what we want to see, what we believe is possible.

If I believe in a dog eat dog world, that’s what I see. I see people competing and tearing one another apart, and viciously attacking one another for scraps. If I believe in an abundant, neutral world, I see that it is done unto you as you believe, and I see the lilies of the field that toil not, yet are fed.

Most of us accept both world views as true, and expect both kinds of phenomena to occur.  That is duality, the belief in God and in a power equal and opposite to God. But if there’s only one God, how can there be anything equal and opposite to It? There can’t be, contemporary Judeo-Christian theology to the contrary. If I am able get my bloated nothingness out of the way and let go of the equal and opposite power, accepting the truth that there is no equal and opposite power, then I can expect to behold the “miraculous shimmering in all that exists.”

No comments:

Post a Comment