Friday, July 2, 2010

Ignorance and Light

Ignorance, honest not knowing and not being exposed to facts and information, is something I sympathize with. After all, I’m ignorant of many things. But willful ignorance, choosing not to know after being exposed to facts and information, is something I do not sympathize with. And that’s putting mildly. I hate such ignorance, even fear it. Such ignorance is dangerous, it hurts people, places and things, it even hurts the poor fools who cling to it. How can things be improved if people refuse to acknowledge the possibility of alternatives and the need to improve? I despair for our ideals and our very lives if people can not be reached and helped out of their ignorance. A few ignorant people is no problem, but a majority of ignorant people drags me down, too.

I know peace and success are not about changing others, only about changing myself. I know that as Audre Lorde says, “when I dare to be powerful – to use my strength in the service of my vision, then it becomes less and less important whether I am afraid,” but I let the ego in the form of the so-called news, drag me down. I want to use my power and God connection to see ignorance as simply meaning unaware and as I accept myself as the place where God comes to a point of individualized and personalized express, I will see others that way too, will not see ignorance as the ego sees it, and know what to do, if anything, about it.

I want to see ignorance as another opportunity to let go and let God. Surrender brings real power. As I release blame, shame and the need to control, spirit shines through me, revealing so much more than I ever could have imagined, allowing me to get my bloated nothingness out of the way of the divine circuits. As Jesus said, “I am the light of the world,” acknowledging his oneness with God and light, so I too, acknowledge the light within me, knowing my faith determines the wattage and amplification of my light. Though it pisses me off, in my right mind, I know that ignorance is unawareness of this light and when I encounter ignorance it is an opportunity not only to acknowledge my oneness with the light but to seek in others. Happy Fourth of July!

No comments:

Post a Comment