Friday, February 4, 2011

Belief

I’m between a rant and a blessing this morning. Perhaps the rant will lead to a blessing. Perhaps if I get more into the blessing, I won’t want to rant. That’s kind of where I am right now. Anyhow what I wanted to ‘rant’ about is belief.

I hear people say, “I don’t believe in global warming.” Or “I don’t believe in evolution,” as if their disbelief in these things makes them unreal or untrue. I wonder if these people, and there are a lot of them, believe in gravity? Or electricity? Would the gravity and electricity cease to function and impact our lives if these people didn’t ‘believe’ in them?

I kind of get why some people disbelieve in global warming and evolution, but that, like the reality of gravity and electricity, doesn’t change the impact of these forces on them and the rest of us. I’m angry and worried because I see the attitudes of these skeptics and their growing political power, nurtured by powerful special interests like coal, oil and gas and religious institutions, will impact me and mine when its too late, when the ‘belief’ issues are finally resolved.

What to do? Who knows? I only know that if I come from anger and fear, I beget more anger and fear. I’m going to try and stay centered and when opportunities arise, I will say and do things from that centered space, with the knowledge that evolution and global warming are the same as gravity and electricity, and operate in our lives whether we ‘believe’ in them or not. That feels woefully inadequate from my angry, fearful ego perspective, but it’s what I’m going to do anyhow.

No comments:

Post a Comment