Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Dominion Over Mind

“Those who cannot change their minds cannot change anything,” George Bernard Shaw said. Seems obvious, doesn’t it, like common sense? To change the outside, I have to change the inside first. Yet, even tho I see the truth of this, it is easier said than done. It is much easier to change the outside first - to think I am right and need not change, while the outside is wrong, or if not ‘wrong,’ in need of a little tweak. Why is this?

In my case, and I think for you too, and probably for everyone else as well, I confuse my thoughts and beliefs with my identity, with who I am. But my thoughts are not who I am; I am the thinker, not the thoughts. I am a spiritual being having an earthly experience. By claiming dominion of my mind, not my brain, but my mind - the thing that knows the truth about my identity, the spiritual thing I really am, then I can easily and naturally direct my thoughts and feelings, not only toward my good, but toward a world that works for everyone and everything.

This claiming of my power comes with the realization that who and what I identify with – spirit or ego, determines my thoughts which create my beliefs which create my experience. The first thing to do, always, is to take dominion of our minds and identity, shift from ego to spirit, realize we are the thinker, not the thoughts, change our thoughts, then our beliefs, then work for change in the outer world. There will be challenges, but challenges can be seen as wake up calls, opportunities to take responsibility for our experience and dominion of our minds. Remember, “those who cannot change their minds cannot change anything.”

No comments:

Post a Comment