Thursday, April 26, 2012

Reality and reality


What I’m trying to understand so I can do it more often, is what ‘work with’ means.  As I said in yesterday’s post and what my own experience shows me, is that to ‘work with’ the great invisible Reality actually means to not work.  It means letting go of the past, of my habitual, preconceived notions of right and wrong, and what the situation is or should be, emptying myself out (at least on the particular topic of interest) and allow spirit – the great and invisible Reality, guide me, define, diagnose and prescribe for the situation. 

It’s more of an undoing, than a doing.  It’s getting my bloated nothingness out of the way and if feels wrong to do that, like giving up and letting my side down, instead of ‘working with’; and because of the feelings of wrongness and guilt, I resist ‘working with’ in the most effective way.  Instead of ‘working with,’ I’m battling my ego, trying to get it out of the way. 

I want to let Reality shine, as it is always doing if I will but look, to catch a vision beyond the ego’s meager range of what bliss is and allow that vision to pull me towards it.  Doing this is ‘working with.’  Forget forcing or confronting my ego, leave it be and just go for the vision.  Be still and know.  Seek ye first the Kingdom and all else shall be added.  The pain pushes ‘till the vision pulls.

Usually the conditions I’m concerned about - a headache, cancer, being unemployed that I’m seeking spirit’s help to fix, will not magically disappear.  But, when I’m really able to work with spirit, not to ‘fix’ these conditions, but simply to know I am spirit, then how I approach the conditions and what they mean to me, will be different.  Almost certainly less acutely painful and more in line with the benign, compassionate and kind reality that spirit is. 

I will perceive what’s happening as ‘conditions’ not permanent Reality, but as part of my ego’s reality, not all of who I am, but only part of who I am.  And as I release the conditions from my ego’s grasp, as I stop thinking I know what’s going on and what to do about it, giving them over to my greater Reality, the conditions are free to change and reflect their spiritual reality.  I am able to perceive them, not as life-threatening problems, but as life-expanding opportunities to seek the Kingdom first and experience Reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment