Monday, June 21, 2010

Father's Day

Yesterday was Father’s Day. I don’t have any kids, but I was a kid. I’m quite comfortable and grateful for my life and glad I don’t have kids. Every blue moon I sometimes wonder what I’ve missed; but most of the time I’m deeply grateful, as is my wife, that I do not have children. When we were first married, 41 years ago, we tried furiously to have kids. It didn’t work out, so we didn’t have any. Adoption didn’t resonate for us.

Thinking back on my childhood, I’m extremely grateful to my mom and dad for how I was raised. There were plenty of difficult times and lots of negative judgments on my part. But basically, my parents were descent people who had kids and did the best they could. My dad modeled things that were good and strong, and things that weren’t so good and strong, but mostly things that were good and strong. I credit him and his wife for giving me an excellent send off! Some of who they were, a lot really, is alive and well in me today. It’s more than a mere physical, genetic or cultural heritage, its something deeper, a vibe in my core, my beingness.

Similarly, as Celeste Frazier wrote in SOM yesterday, “whatever is in God is in us. That’s an awesome thing to know. And sometimes we are daunted by that idea. The single drop of water has the same qualities as the ocean from which it came. It’s easier for us to see it our gene pool as we inherit all of the good and bad qualities from our family members. Yet all the attributes and qualities we inherit from God are the Good [and only the Good] – and I, for one, am grateful for it.” Me, too!

That’s why I want to get my bloated nothingness out of the way, resign as my own teacher, and know that it is not I, but my father in heaven who doeth the work.

No comments:

Post a Comment