Thursday, October 13, 2011

Forgiving, 2

Of course, it’s difficult to make a choice if you don’t know another choice is available. If I think the ego’s illusory world is all there is - is the ‘real’ world, as in ‘get real’ and quit all this airy fairy metaphysical stuff, then I don’t have a choice, because I’m already dealing with all the reality there is.

But, if on the other hand, you sense you are part of something greater than yourself…. So in order to choose spirit instead of ego, first, I’ve got to believe spirit is a real choice. Second, I’ve got to believe spirit is the best choice. And third, I’ve got to believe I can actually choose spirit, that it’s possible to get there from here, that I don’t have to sacrifice anything or become a nun, monk, or weirdo to do it.

That’s where forgiveness comes in. When someone makes a mistake, you forgive them, right? Thinking the ego’s illusory world is all the reality there is, and that we have separated from God, is a mistake to be forgiven, not a sin. Identifying with the ego instead of spirit is a choice that our decision maker has made, in our minds. It is a mistaken choice. Spirit is still there, where it’s always been, in our minds, waiting for us to choose It.

Being mindful as I go thru my day and paying attention to how I perceive myself, others and the world, provides an opportunity for forgiveness - to correct my mistake, choose again, and tells me which teacher I’ve chosen, ego or spirit. If I find myself becoming bored, depressed or critical of others, it is because I’ve identified with ego, and chose to see myself at hateful and selfish, first. I see the world as I see myself. Instead of feeling guilty about this, which is ‘normal’ in the ego illusion, I need to forgive myself.

But I don’t. Rather than forgiving myself and accepting responsibility for that choice, I project it out and see the hate in someone or something else. I need not continue to do that. I can choose a different teacher, spirit, and choose to perceive myself, others, and the world differently.

Being mindful and understanding that I see the world as I see myself, alerts me to the fact that my ego reactions can be reminders that I made the wrong choice. Perceiving the pain, anger, fear, or even the fun and excitement this way, allows me to return to my mind where my decision maker made the mistake, forgive myself, because it was only a mistake, not a sin, and choose again. Thus, no matter what, it is never the other person or thing I forgive, but myself for making the wrong choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment