Thursday, April 21, 2011

We Have Met the Enemy, and They Is Us

I accept God’s gifts of peace and joy. God’s peace and joy are mine. God’s gifts never lessen when they are given away, they only increase. In fact, the only way I know I have peace and joy and can experience them is by sharing them, by giving them away. Think, of those brothers who I have labeled ‘enemies’ and have thus denied “the peace and joy that are their right under the equal laws of God. Here you denied them to yourself. And here you must return to claim them as your own.”

Sharing God’s gifts and praying for others, if rightly understood, becomes a means of lifting my own projections of guilt from my brother, and enable me to recognize it is not he who is hurting me. “The poisonous thought that he is your enemy, your evil counterpart, your nemesis must be relinquished before you can be saved from guilt.” Seeing my enemies differently, as brothers who have been denied their peace and joy which are their right under the equal laws of God, helps me reconsider my perceptions of others and myself, correcting my perceptions from separate to shared interests.

It’s all about learning to accept and share spirit’s gifts, my birthright (and yours), by correcting my misperceptions. In the end, as Pogo said, “we have met the enemy and it is us,” and realize there is no one to forgive, no enemy out there. The ‘enemy’ is simply my (and your) faulty decision making, choosing the ego’s nightmare instead of spirit’s happy dream.

Re-thinking and re-labeling our ‘enemies’ is a never-ending process, requiring mindfulness and desire, love and compassion, but it is oh so worth while! Catching your self blaming, fearing, hating, judging, and punishing is, when seen with spirit, an opportunity to reclaim God’s gifts of peace and joy by sharing them and choosing to see your ‘enemy’ as your brother.

No comments:

Post a Comment