Friday, July 29, 2011

Pain as Motivation to Remember My Reality as Spirit

The ego would have me think I am a body so that I will not remember my glorious, eternal, compassionate, loving, trusting Self. The ego wants me to forget who I am – a spiritual being, part of the Whole, and mistake my Self for myself. But what I have ‘forgotten’, I can remember. All the pain, horror, terror, frustration, fear, aggravation, hurt and sadness that is always lurking in the world and my consciousness can motivate me to awaken and remember who I am. A little willingness to seek something beyond the ego/dichotomy’s box can begin the process.

“If God is real, there is no pain. If pain is real, there is no God.” At the most basic, existential level, it is one or the other, ego or God. The ego’s purpose is to have me prove I am not like God – loving, changeless, eternal, so it gives me pain; or I, my decision maker, allows it to, accepting pain as real. Experiencing mental, emotional or physical pain firmly establishes the ‘fact’ of my physical existence, apart from spirit, which knows nothing of pain. And if my pain is very real, my identity as spirit must be an illusion.

“Thus is the body stronger than the truth, which asks you live [without pain of any kind] but which cannot overcome your [decision maker’s] choice to [identify with the ego and] die. And so the body is more powerful than everlasting life, [and spirit, God and] Heaven more frail than hell, and God’s design for salvation…opposed by a decision stronger than His Will.”

God’s design is the at-one-ment, the realization that we are with him now, and have never separated from him. When we have had enough of all the bullshit, pain and bloated nothingness, and with a little willingness to experience life differently, we can awaken, remember the truth and allow our decision maker to choose again. Even the ego’s anthropomorphic God of the bible says, “Today I have set before you life and death, choose life.”

No comments:

Post a Comment