Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Backwards


 

I’ve always thought of using my spiritual reality and my spiritual practices of meditation, mindfulness and tai-chi as ways of helping me in the world: to be a better person, be more successful and make a contribution to a world that works for everyone. But actually, what I’ve been understanding lately is that I’ve had it backward – that the point is to use the world to enhance my spiritual practices and my awareness of being a spiritual being having an earthly experience. In other words, use the world to awake to spirit, instead of using spirit to improve the world. Spirit is real, the world is the illusion.

 

Margaret Storz says in this month’s SOM Magazine: “We cannot look to externals to validate ourselves to ourselves. Spiritual growth is a lifelong journey that we are making every day. The world of conditions cannot help us” except as opportunities to remember who and what we really are.

No comments:

Post a Comment