Monday, April 15, 2013

Remembering


I like to think of myself as a tolerant, both/and person. That for example it’s not either the Democrats or Republicans who are ‘right’ but both Democrats and Republicans who have a piece of the Truth. Yes, when it comes time to vote, it’s either/or, but when solving problems and shaping legislation it’s both/and.

 

Imagine my chagrin when the Course says it’s either God or the ego; that if I examine the evidence on both sides fairly, I will realize this must be true. “Neither God nor the ego proposes a partial thought system. Each is internally consistent, but they are diametrically opposed in all respects so that partial allegiance is impossible. Their results are as different as their foundations, and their fundamentally irreconcilable natures cannot be reconciled by vacillations between them.”

 

To me, this means I have to stop trying to serve both the ego and spirit, stop trying to compromise between them and choose either one or the other. I can compromise and seek for both/and common ground politically within the ego framework, but spiritually I’ve got to reject the ego framework completely. Huh? How do I do that? I choose spirit and then from the spiritual place do both/and. In fact it is spirit that enables me to even conceive of both/and and find a way to do it. Only spirit is inclusive, compassionate and creative. Ego is either my way or the highway, you’re either for me or against me.

 

So my goal, and perhaps yours as well, is to remember our reality as spirit, to choose that and go within first. To use each situation as an opportunity to remember and to realize that remembering is merely to restore to my awareness what is already in my mind. I did not put it there, it’s part of the original factory equipment we all have. My part is to use each situation as an opportunity to remember and accept again what is already there, but was rejected.

No comments:

Post a Comment