Monday, April 1, 2013

"Be ye perfect...."


“Be ye perfect as your father in heaven is perfect.”

 

I used to think of this as a curse. C’mon! Give me a break! I can’t be perfect. That’ll never happen. What’s the point? When I didn’t think of it as a curse, I thought of it as a ‘nice’ idea, but not practical, as an ideal like Don Quixote’s impossible dream. So I became anti-perfect. Good enough was good enough. People who strived for perfection were brown nosers and losers. I didn’t mind being a ‘good boy’, but I didn’t see that as the purpose of my life.

 

But gradually, oh so gradually, I began to experience ‘perfection’ differently; not as an external thing, not as pleasing anybody or meeting anybody’s expectations or standards of perfection, not as a goal, something external to me that I had to strive for and to try to be, not as filling a hole in my soul, correcting some mistake or lack, but as something I already am. Wow! You mean I’m already ‘perfect’? There’s nothing to strive for, nothing external no goal that once achieved will make me feel whole and complete? Right! Remember the, ‘is that all there is?’ experience….  What a buzz! What a high, what a sense of OKness comes from not having to chase after perfection. Perhaps you’ve felt it but if you haven’t, try it now. Take a deep breath and relax into it. Wow, how good, how cool, how divine!

 

You and I are perfect because we are spiritual beings first and spirit is perfect. I’m perfect now, right now. Not when I die and go to heaven. Not when all my books are published and I’m a best selling author. Now. God, what a relief! No more stress, struggling and striving, pushing and shoving! Yipee! The challenge is to allow the perfection that I am, and you are, to flow; to get our bloated nothingness out of the way of the divine circuits.

 

“Be ye perfect as your father in heaven is perfect,” is an invitation to do that. It’s not a curse, it’s an enticement, a delicious invitation to be yourSelf, to allow your unique talents, ideas and skill to flow, unimpeded by fear, doubt and trepidation. Its an invitation to seek the kingdom first and allow all else to be added. It’s advise about how to use the spiritual technology available to you right now.

 

“Be ye perfect as your father in heaven is perfect,” and use yourSelf to make a unique contribution to a world that works for everyone and everything in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment